Former Anglo-Pakistani peer faces retrial for child sexual abuse
Update: June 24, 2021 8:15 AM STI
London [UK], June 24 (ANI): A former Anglo-Pakistani peer will be tried on charges of child sexual abuse after the UK Court of Appeal ruled that criminal proceedings against him should continue.
Nazir Ahmed, who was previously known as Lord Ahmed of Rotherham before stepping down from the House of Lords last year, has been charged with sexually abusing two young children in the 1970s as a teenager , reported The News International.
In February, the trial was halted and the court suspended the case. However, on Wednesday, the Court of Appeal announced that it had overturned that decision.
“The case will now be retried at a later date in Crown court,” Lord Justice Fulford said at a brief hearing before the Royal Courts of Justice in London. “These proceedings should continue before another judge,” added the judge.
Nazir, 63, was on trial in Sheffield Crown Court, charged with a number of sexual offenses. Besides Nazir, his two brothers, Mohammed Farouq, 70, and Mohammed Tariq, 65, are also accused of “indecent assault” but are not fit to plead and stand trial on the facts.
The allegations were said to have come to light in 2016 when a man and woman contacted police, more than 40 years after the alleged assaults.
In November last year, Nazir announced his retirement from the upper house of the British Parliament amid accusations of sexual misconduct. Nazir had resigned amid reports that a House of Lords conduct committee had recommended his expulsion.
Although Nazir’s tainted credentials are well known, Pakistani media have covered up his ouster as a voluntary retreat. (ANI)